Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wow moments - tech side

Yes I have a BA of Visual Arts. My major being photography. That was 10 years ago however.  Ten years ago digital was only just being introduced. So when I studied photography I studied technique but I also studied in black and white, and in a dark room.
I remember in my last year we had to take digital studies as one of our subjects. The teacher wasn't a teacher but a photographer, which was great, but he was not a teacher.  So when he taught us photoshop, I just could not understand it at all. His instructions to me were not making any sense. I passed the subject but I never touched photoshop again.
Flash forward 7 years. I just had my daughter and was getting back into photography, and photoshop. I came about wanting to learn photoshop because I wanted to make my internet signatures aka 'siggies'. So my husband (at the time), got photoshop for me, but I had no idea what I was doing, so he also got me Lynda.com tutorials. Zeke the guy who runs the tutorials, was so funny, it was fun to learn, and that's exactly what I wanted. (By the way he also writes all those photoshop books, so he knows ALOT!)
So making siggies really helped me to learn photoshop, as well as the lynda.com tutorials.
Flash forward 2 years. In October 2008, I got an early Christmas present, a dslr camera. I was so excited! I mean who wouldn't I had a new toy to play with. So the rest of the year was learning the camera again. I was mainly shooting jpg's just I could get use the camera and its' settings. Then I made the move, to RAW!
Editing with raw is different to editing with jpg's. Sure the files are huge, but there are more options when it comes to editing.
Still I know a lot more now than I did in 2008 or even in 2009. So what are the wow moments?
One wow moment was finally understanding histograms. I have no idea why it didn't click, and then I was doing some reading (online), and the way they explained it made so much more sense - editing wise that is.
Another wow moment was white balance. When I studying photography I studied black and white.  Sure I did colour, but I sent my work of to a commercial printer and got them to do the printing. The concept of colour was a whole other world to me then, and a lot more complex than black and white. So I never had to learn white balance when it came to printing in black and white. However with colour it's important to know. I had a basic understanding when it came to white balance just from editing, but what really did it for me was this video. Which you should TOTAL check out.



Needless to say, I will be getting a grey card. 



No comments:

Post a Comment