Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Starfish + Chickpea Salad

Ok so my Monday inspirational story is a bit late, but I'm still going to give it to you all the same. Even thought it is now Thursday.

I should let you know that I didn't wright this story, I first heard it about 10 years ago and it stuck with me. Anyway here is the story.

One day I was walking barefoot on the beach. I was enjoying the view, and the waves splashing against my feet.
In the distance I could see a little girl throwing something into the ocean. As I got closer I noticed that she wasn't throwing stones, or sticks. She was in fact throwing starfish. Hundreds of starfish had washed up on the shore from a storm the night before.
I asked the little girl 'What are you doing? It's not like you can save them all?'
She picked up another starfish and as she was throwing it back into the sea she said 'I know, but it made a difference to that one.'


So the point of the story? Well sometimes we loose perspective. Sometimes well try to look at too much, rather than just focusing on the small things. Just remember that whatever you do, give it 100%. It is better to do small things with great love than big things with rushed love and attention.



Chickpea Salad
Serves 4 (you can half the ingredients to serve 2)

2 large tins chickpeas
3 tomatoes (you can use a punnet of cherry tomatoes as an alternative
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 small red capsicum cut into strips (you can use green or yellow if you don't have red).
4 spring onions, cut into thin strips
1 cup chopped parsley
2-3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves

Dressing
2 tbls tahini
2 tbls lemon juice
1 tbls olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

* Drain the chickpeas and rinse well.
* Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds (if using cherry tomatoes just cut them in half)
* Dice the flesh of the tomatoes
* mix the red onion, tomato, capsicum and spring onion in a bowl
* Add the parsley chickpeas and mint

To make the dressing, put all the ingredients in a screw top jar with 2 tbls water, season well and shake vigorously to make a creamy liquid. Pour over the salad and toss.

A really refreshing summer (or any other time of the year) salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment